YEA Young Entrepreneurs Academy
The Young Entrepreneurs Academy(YEA!) is a 25-week, after school program that teaches middle and high school students how to start and run their own REAL businesses. The Peabody Area Chamber of Commerce is excited to bring YEA! to students on the North Shore for the 5th year! The YEA! program guides middle and high school students, ages 11-18 years, through the process of starting and running a legitimate business or social movement over the course of a full academic year. Start as a student, graduate as a CEO!
Each year, the YEA! program chooses a student from our "Shark Tank" investor panel to attend a regional competition with his/her business idea and a chance to win a large college scholarship.
Over the course of the program, students:
- Brainstorm business ideas
- Write a business plan
- Interact with business professionals
- Pitch their business plan to potential “investors” (think ABC’s “Shark Tank”!)
- Obtain funding
- Legally register their businesses
- Participate in a Trade Show
- Actually launch their own businesses or social movements
The experience the YEA! program offers can be a 'game-changer' on college applications, plus the program offers students the chance to:
- Develop the skills necessary to launch their own business or social movement (hands-on entrepreneurial experience!)
- Learn about real businesses - why they succeed or fail.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Launch their own business or social movement!
- Become more confident in their ideas and their abilities.
- Compete for college scholarships.
Organization of the Program
YEA! classes will meet October through May, for three hours weekly. Applications will be accepted from students in grades 6-12.
There are no classes during regular school holidays and recesses. Students are taught by an instructor, but are exposed to guest lecturers, successful entrepreneurs and business mentors. The class goes on field trips to a variety of local businesses. Finally, the students participate in three major events throughout the year: the CEO Round Table, Investor Panel, and a Trade Show to launch their business.
Student Selection Process
To apply for YEA!, students must:
- Fill out the YEA! application
- Complete the essay and the short answer questions
- Submit their transcripts
- Submit a letter of recommendation
Once the completed application packet is received, students will be asked to come in for an interview. Acceptance in the program is based on all aspects of an application, as well as the personal interview. Prior experience with business is not required! Class size is limited.
To receive an application to apply for the YEA! 2018-19 program, email email@example.com or complete the form below.
How Business Professionals Can Get Involved
Through their interactions with business professionals during the year, YEA! students gain some of the most important knowledge and experience they need to succeed. Local professionals volunteer their time and expertise as guest speakers, mentors, investors, graphic designers, field trip hosts, business plan reviewers, and much more. The time YEA! students spend with adults who encourage their futures is invaluable, and participants often report getting even more out of their participation than they put in to it!
For more information, call 978-531-0384 or email Maria@PeabodyChamber.com